Prince and symbol of traditional Sicilian pastry, Cannolo is one of the most popular and appreciated desserts in the world. It has been included in the list of traditional Italian food products (abbreviated to PAT), becoming an example of Italian pastry art at an international level. Of ancient origin, Cannoli were once made just during the Carnival period. The name “Cannoli” derives from the river reeds, as they were used to roll out the waffles.
- ricotta cheese
For the waffles:
• 400 g 00 flour
• 50 g butter / lard
• 60 g sugar
• 4 tablespoons of dry marsala
• 60g white vinegar
• a pinch of salt
• sunflower seed oil for frying
For the filling
• 1 kilo sheep ricotta
• 600 g sugar
• cinnamon powder to taste
• 200 g dark chocolate drops
• 200 g candied pumpkin
• 100 g candied orange peel
• 100 g icing sugar
1. Work together the flour, the sugar, the salt, the lard and the marsala.
2. To obtain a very compact dough, form a “ball” and wrap it in the film, put it in the fridge and let it rest for about an hour.
3. After an hour, spread the dough on the work surface with a rolling pin until it becomes 2 or 3 mm thick (you can also use a pasta maker, as this dough is similar to that of pasta).
4. Take a round dough cup and make from the dough a lot of round discs with a diameter of 10 cm (or use a pastry wheel with smooth edge to cut pasta diamonds).
5. Oil the metal cylinders and wrap the pasta discs around them; join the edges well, pressing with hands with a drop of water.
6. Heat the oil and immerse the rolls wrapped with the pasta: it's time to fry those that will soon become the waffles.
7. When they have taken a golden color, drain them and place them on a plate covered with paper towels..
8. Remove the metal cylinders from the waffles only when they have cooled completely.
For the filling cream:
9. Add the sugar to the ricotta (well drained); slowly mix the mixture and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
10. Add the cinnamon, the chocolate chips and the diced candied pumpkin to the ricotta cream.
11. Use a teaspoon to fill the waffles with the cream. Flatten the ends, decorate with candied orange peel and sprinkle with icing sugar.
12. Refrigerate for half an hour and serve them cold. Enjoy your meal!