Coffee granita with cream
Typically from Messina city, this granita is always present in the Sicilian summer breakfast, to be enjoyed spoon by spoon accompanied by a soft warm pastry, made with egg yeast dough and topped with a soft chignon called "u 'tuppu". A tip: do not steal the "tuppo" from a Sicilian. If a Sicilian will offer you "u 'tuppu", consider it as a proof of true friendship or love!
- coffee granita with cream in Messina
• 250 ml of coffee
• 250 ml of water
• 80 g of granulated sugar or brown sugar
• 1 vanilla pod
• 250 ml of fresh whipping cream
• 30 g of icing sugar
• Cinnamon powder (optional)
1. Prepare the coffee and let it cool.
2. Put the sugar in a saucepan, together with the water and the vanilla pod. Turn on the stove.
3. Stir and bring to a boil; wait a minute and turn off the stove.
4. Add the coffee, mix and let the mixture cool.
5. Transfer everything to a glass or steel container and place in the freezer.
6. For about three to four hours, remove the granita from the freezer every 30-40 minutes and mix it.
7. Place the cream in the freezer for about ten minutes.
8. Whip the cream with the whips and slowly add the icing sugar..
9. After three/four hours the coffee granita is ready. You can taste it with some cream on its top and should accompany it with a warm pastry.